2021 Women Make Waves Int'l Film Festival
CALL FOR ENTRY
Deadline for Entry: February 25, 2021
About Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan
Established as a non-profit organization in 1993, Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan has been one of the major film festivals in Taiwan and has established itself as the biggest one dedicated to supporting female talents. Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan aims to celebrate the achievements of outstanding female talents, to explore different aspects of women's lives as well as to promote equality and rights of all genders. By covering a wide range of genres, issues, and representations of women, WMWIFF seeks to promote great cinematic arts by female directors and to advocate gender equality through films with feminist consciousness and various subjects.
Festival Time & Location
The 28th Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan, presented by the Taiwan Women's Film Association, will be held in Taipei in October 2021 at SPOT-Huashan Cinema.
General Entry Requirement
Submission starting from:
December 16, 2020
Deadline for Entry:
February 25, 2021 for all international film submissions completed after March 1st, 2019
- ♦Entry fees USD 10 are required
- ♦We consider creative films of any length, and OPEN to all kinds of subjects.
- ♦Anything related to LGBTQI+ communities, women issues and ideologies such as feminism and post-feminism, and current events around the world that reflects the status quo of women. We also encourage SEXY, cutting-edge, thought-provoking, and daring films that are innovative in cinematic styles and forms, that explore the aesthetic possibilities of the cinematic forms, and that continue challenging our knowledge and thoughts on various aspects from and about the perspective of women.
- ♦Submission is OPEN to feature films, short films, documentaries, animations, experimental films and etc.
- ♦Films addressed to the following issues are preferred and highly welcomed.
1. Queer films
We eager for the best and most diverse work by, about and of interest to the LGBTQI+ community, as to secure a platform for LGBTQI+ films made by women directors.
2. New currents
Featuring works of new female directors, especially the first or the second feature by the future-leading directors.
3. Women Issues
Issue-oriented films that have a strong focus on women issues, such as gender equality, gender discrimination, or any related topics that tackle the current situation of women in nowadays society.
- ♦The films submitted need to be directed at least by One FEMALE Director.
- ♦The films submitted must be Taiwan Premiere.
- ♦The films submitted must have been completed after March 1st, 2019.
- ♦Entrants must submit completed work. Works-in-progress are not accepted.
- ♦For submission, the submitted films should be presented with English dialogue or in their original versions with English subtitles. We advise you to also subtitle films if they are spoken in English which is hard to grasp for non-native speakers, i.e. an accent or slang.
- ♦Films that have been submitted for consideration in previous years are not eligible.
How to Submit Your Film
- ♦To submit, please fill in our entry form here.
- ♦Or, the entrants can also click to submit via Filmfreeway. Please make sure to have an online screener available and include as much information as possible.
How to Pay the Entry Fees
♦If you submit via Filmfreeway, you will complete the payment through its website.
♦If you submit via filling out the entry form on our Official Website, after you submit the entry form, you will receive the payment link from us. Please complete the payment by following the instruction in the email.
Online screeners with a secured password or high-res digital file are highly preferred, while WMWIFF also accepts Two DVD screeners (in NTSC Format) by post / courier. Your entry will only be accepted if WMWIFF receives a complete entry form (including valid screeners) AND entry fees on time.
If your submission is successful, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which you can print for your records. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Selection Procedure, Authorization and Important Notice
- ♦Selection Procedure
The festival's program committees select the films that will participate in all program sections. When a film is selected, the festival will notify the applicant by email no later than June 30, 2021.
- ♦After selection, please email the following materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Completed dialogue lists in original language AND English
2. 3 different stills from the film (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
3. A photo of the director (at least 300 dpi High Resolution)
4. Film reviews, if available
5. Trailer or clips of the film
6. Press kits if available
Once the films are selected, the festival has the right to:
1. Use a maximum of 5% of the video from the film for the festival trailer, publicity, and online purposes.
2. Use the trailer for publicity and online purposes.
3. Use publicity material to promote the festival and our program line-up.
4. Reserve the right to keep all the screeners and / or high res video files of the selected films in the festival archive for non-circulating use.
5. Produce and keep Chinese subtitled screening copies in the festival archive for non-circulating use, excluding any loan or public usage. Any kind of public presentation is strictly prohibited.
- ♦Important Notice
1. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to secure clearance from the copyright holders of any copyrighted materials included within the submitted film. WMWIFF will not be held responsible for the unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted materials within or relating to the submitted film.
2. If the films are selected, all of the requested materials as above mentioned should be provided as soon as possible in order to assist the compilation of the Festival Catalogue. Please also note that all the submitted materials will not be returned.
3. WMWIFF won't cover any shipping costs during the submission stage. For films selected for our festival, we will cover the print's shipping costs (custom tax included) to and from the original print source only. Please note that WMWIFF will NOT be responsible for any shipping costs (custom tax included) for the next destination.
4.The selected films will be screened 2~4 times during the 28th Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan in October. Please be noted that WMWIFF will NOT provide screening fees for submitted films, while will be eligible for the possibility of an invitation to the festival attendance, regional distribution, and so on.
5. One of the missions of WMWIFF is to propagate women/gender issues around Taiwan. Some of the films will be chosen for screening to the disadvantaged outside the capital between October to December 2021. All the charity screening is free of charge, and furthermore, the screening time and audience are limited.
Address and Contact Information
Women Make Waves Film Festival, Taiwan
3F, No.16, Lane 10, Singcheng St.
Datong District, Taipei City 10353
T: +886-2-2557-5227 F: +886-2-2552-9728